ports upgrade question

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 01:11:01 UTC 2006

On 6/10/06, aaronvan at comcast.net <aaronvan at comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm a newbie running 6.1 stable and I have what may be several simple questions: What exactly is happening when I run "make index && make readmes" after I upgrade my ports tree? Why aren't the indexes and readmes made when we run cvsup ports-supfile? Finally, why does it take so long to make what appear (to me) to be fairly small files? Thanks.

You don't need to run make index... just cd into /usr/ports and type
'make fetchindex' after every cvsup session. You don't need to run
make readmes too, these are just html pages with all the ports listed
on them... see here for an example: http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/