nss_ldap and OpenLDAP client version

Ansar Mohammed ansarm at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 01:14:16 UTC 2006

One of the more "undocumented" things here is to make sure that in your
/usr/local/etc/nss_ldap.conf to make sure that your bind_polcy is soft.

If not, you will have no end of problems if you ldap server goes down.

Basically if you have in your nsswitch.conf:

Passwd: files ldap
Group: files ldap

If your ldap server is down; nss_ldap keeps trying to reconnect and allot of
apps just hang; (like top, ls -la etc)