natd not starting on boot-up

Roger Merritt mcrogerm at stjohn.ac.th
Fri Jun 9 08:37:12 UTC 2006

At 02:13 PM 6/9/2006 +1000, you wrote:

>I've been doing a little hunting around to figure out
>how /etc/rc.d/natd's called in the first place and it seems
>this is done by the /etc/rc.d/ipfw script, which in turn is run
>when "firewall_enable" is set
>in /etc/rc.conf. /etc/rc.d/natd's not run directly
>by /etc/rc due to its having the "nostart" KEYWORD.
>
>Is IPFW definitely launched correctly on the system?

Definitely. After I reboot I entered 'ipfw show' and it displayed the
ruleset it's using. The first rule (actually number 0050) is 'divert 8668
ip4 from any to any via ed1'. Hmmm. Only 'ip4'? I have ip6 enabled, too,
although as far as I know I only deal with ip4. Something new to research.

>Otherwise, perhaps it's worthwhile chucking a debug echo or two
>about the place (for instance, in /etc/rc.d/natd and /
>or /etc/rc.d/ipfw) and rebooting. Something like this should do
>the trick, I believe: "echo && echo && echo && echo
>'/etc/rc.d/natd' && echo && echo && echo" (without the outer
>quotes).
>
>--
>Nick Withers
>email: nick at nickwithers.com
>Web: http://www.nickwithers.com
>Mobile: +61 414 397 446

Well, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Roger