Question in occasion of SCSI devices (the tape store)

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Thu Jun 8 15:03:03 UTC 2006

Nick wrote:

>Help please with connection sa0 devices.
>I try to make the following:
>mount/dev/sa0/mnt/type
>The system gives out:
>Block device required
>
>I can not understand that occurs. It is simple I the first time on FreeBSD  work with tape stores

Why are you trying to mount a tape as if it contained a filesystem
(which seems highly unlikely)?  You don't need to "mount" anything to
use a tape drive; just put the tape in and specify /dev/sa0   /or
/dev/nsa0 (non-rewinding device) to whatever software needs to use the tape.

What is it you are actually trying to do?  Read the tape?  Write
something to it?  Perform backups?  Without that basic information it's
hard to actually help.

--Alex