burncd error

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Wed Jun 7 22:09:11 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 11:04, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> I'm running 6.1-RELEASE
>
> Trying to burn iso's using burncd gives me an error.
>
> gimpy# burncd -f /dev/acd0 -s 48 data i386pkg-3.0.iso fixate
>
> next writeable LBA 0
> writing from file i386pkg-3.0.iso size 710566 KB
> written this track 710566 KB (100%) total 710566 KB
> fixating CD, please wait..
> burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCFIXATE): Input/output error
>
> The 'funny' thing about this is that the CDs I burn work fine.  (I've
> tried several different ISOs and have checked the md5's on all of
> them.)
>
> Anyone have an idea of what is going on?  I never tried to burn
> anything with 6.0-RELEASE and it worked fine on 5.4-RELEASE

I've seen the same thing for the past several weeks (worked fine at some point
prior to 6.1). I'm running 6-STABLE, updated every couple weeks.  As near as
I've been able to determine, the fixate step doesn't actually do anything, so
your CD's will still be "open" but should work fine under any modern OS.  As
a workaround you can repeat the fixate step at a lower speed:
burncd -f /dev/acd0 -s 4 fixate

I haven't experimented enough to know at what speed the fixate step breaks,
but that does seem to be what's going on. I also haven't tried turning off
ATAPICAM, which would be another interesting data point. If you or someone
else has the time to figure out exactly which (set of) commits started
producing this behavior, that would be excellent material for a PR.  I may
get around to it myself but it's not a high priority.

> dmesg is attached.

Looks like you forgot it.  In my case (using ATAPICAM):

acd1: CDRW <SONY CD-RW CRX215E1/SYS2> at ata1-slave UDMA33
cd1 at ata1 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
cd1: <SONY CD-RW  CRX215E1 SYS2> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd1: 33.000MB/s transfers
cd1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

JN