natd not starting on boot-up

Roger Merritt mcrogerm at stjohn.ac.th
Wed Jun 7 08:32:55 UTC 2006

At 04:35 PM 6/7/2006 +1000, you wrote:
>On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 12:13:29 +0700
>Roger Merritt <mcrogerm at stjohn.ac.th> wrote:
>
> > I'm thoroughly puzzled. Over the weekend I transferred my FreeBSD
> system to
> > a new hard drive. Through laziness I didn't follow the instructions and
> had
> > to make a completely new install. Everything now seems to be working the
> > way it should, Apache, MySQL, PHP, syslog, Samba -- except natd.
> Everything
> > starts on boot-up as it should -- except natd. I can start it manually
> from
> > the command line after booting up and logging in and it works fine, but I
> > can't tell what's going on that it's failing to start.
> >
> > My /etc/rc.conf contains the following:
> >
> > # This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
> > defaultrouter="203.151.134.1"
> > gateway_enable="YES"
> > hostname="poppy.international.stjohn.ac.th"
> > ifconfig_ed0="inet 10.3.16.125 netmask 255.255.255.0"
> > ifconfig_ed1="inet 203.151.134.104  netmask 255.255.255.0"
> > router_enable="YES"
> > firewall_enable="YES"
> > firewall_type="OPEN"
> > firewall_quiet="YES"
> > natd_enable="YES"
> > natd_interface="ed1"
> > ipv6_enable="YES"
> > linux_enable="YES"
> > moused_enable="YES"
> > moused_port="/dev/sysmouse"
> > moused_type="auto"
> > screen="daemon"
> > nfs_client_enable="YES"
> > sshd_enable="YES"
>
>That looks alright to me...
>
> > What can I do to get some indication of where the problem is?
>
>Are there any error messages relating to IPFW / natd on boot?

No, or at least none I could see. That's why I've asked for help.

>What version of FreeBSD are you running?

6.1-STABLE

>What's the command
>you're running that _does_ launch natd successfully?

"/sbin/natd -n ed1". I hadn't thought about "/etc/rc.d/natd start" until
someone suggested it, but that works too and reads the interface from
/etc/rc.conf.

>  What's the
>output of "ls -l /etc/rc.d/natd"?

[poppy] ~# ls -l /etc/rc.d/natd
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  978 May 31 09:52 /etc/rc.d/natd

--
Roger