natd not starting on boot-up

Roger Merritt mcrogerm at stjohn.ac.th
Wed Jun 7 05:17:44 UTC 2006

I'm thoroughly puzzled. Over the weekend I transferred my FreeBSD system to
a new hard drive. Through laziness I didn't follow the instructions and had
to make a completely new install. Everything now seems to be working the
way it should, Apache, MySQL, PHP, syslog, Samba -- except natd. Everything
starts on boot-up as it should -- except natd. I can start it manually from
the command line after booting up and logging in and it works fine, but I
can't tell what's going on that it's failing to start.

My /etc/rc.conf contains the following:

# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
defaultrouter="203.151.134.1"
gateway_enable="YES"
hostname="poppy.international.stjohn.ac.th"
ifconfig_ed0="inet 10.3.16.125 netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_ed1="inet 203.151.134.104  netmask 255.255.255.0"
router_enable="YES"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="OPEN"
firewall_quiet="YES"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="ed1"
ipv6_enable="YES"
linux_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
moused_port="/dev/sysmouse"
moused_type="auto"
screen="daemon"
nfs_client_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"

What can I do to get some indication of where the problem is?

--
Roger