Running out of swap space????

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Tue Jun 6 14:14:30 UTC 2006

cknipe at savage.za.org wrote:
> Quoting bob.middaugh at comcast.net:

I wrote a one line shell script that runs swapinfo -h and cron'd it to
run once an hour.  Each hour the amount of swap space being used has
increased by 100 to 200 MB.  Eventually swap is exhausted and the system
kills a binary.  (It's not just mysql.  Other things are being killed as
well.)

What would cause swap to increase steadily like that?  Something not
releasing swap when it's no longer needed?

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer