dmesg not working on new system

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Mon Jun 5 11:09:04 PDT 2006

Chris Maness wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, Greg Barniskis wrote:
>
>> Chris Maness wrote:
>>> I just installed 6.1 and upgraded to RELEASE-p1.  The command dmesg
>>> is not displaying any kernel messages, any suggestions?
>>
>> Suggests all is well?
>>
>> dmesg outputs stuff from the current system message buffer, which
>> contains your boot messages right after booting but those can get
>> flushed over time. Boot messages are saved to a file though, for
>> reference.
>>
>> more /var/run/dmesg.boot
>>

> I just thought it was strange because every other system I have it at
> least displays dmesg.boot if there is no other messages.  Is this new
> behavior for 6.1?

Not new behavior. A dmesg on any of my running systems (4.x, 5.x)
returns nothing after a time. You were just catching it before the
buffer was flushed. I don't know what triggers that, and it is
possible that the trigger/timing of it may have changed in 6.x (and
as always, YMMV).

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348