Hiding dot files with ftpd

Lawrence Horvath lordsporkton at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 23:49:30 PDT 2006

On 6/3/06, Daniel A. Akulenok <alive at dienub.org> wrote:
> On Sat, June 3, 2006 22:57, Kyrre Nygard wrote:
> >
> > What's up all?
> >
> > Just wondering if it's possible to hide dot files somehow
> > with FreeBSD's default ftpd when I invoke it from inetd?
> >
> > ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/ftpd ftpd -l
> > ftp stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/libexec/ftpd ftpd -l
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kyrre

> Hi Kyrre,
> Files prepended with dots in UNIX operating systems usually symoblize a
> file which is not shown to the user on a regular basis because the user
> will actually not _need_ to know of it's prescense in daily use.
> Therefore, it is entirely up to the FTP client of the user if files
> prepended with dots are shown or not.

Is there a way to get the ftp server to not list the dot prepended
files? if say you REALLY don't want the client to see the files, can
you get the server to not send it in a "list" reply? and by the same
means could you get the server to not list dirs as well?(that was just
being my curiosity)

--
-Lawrence