Sound Problem in KDE

Duane Whitty duane at dwpc.dwlabs.ca
Fri Jun 2 17:48:58 PDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 07:50:57PM -0400, Gerard E. Seibert wrote:
> Upon completion of a fresh installation of KDE on FreeBSD 6.1, I have been
> unable to get the sound to work correctly in KDE. Upon starting up of KDE,
> this error message is displayed:
>
> Sound server informational message:
> Error while initializing the sound driver:
> device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Device busy)
> The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
>
> I have tried rebooting the system, but the problem remains. since KDE did
> work with FSBD 5.4 on this PC, I am not sure what the problem might me.

Hi,

I recently had a similar problem in KDE.  The way
I tracked it down was to fstat|grep dsp in order
to see what had the device file open.

What prompted
this was I had been running skype and, after being
disconnected, I was unable to reconnect.  It turned
out that konqueror had grabbed the device when I played
a media file and hadn't released it afterward.

Hope this helps,

Duane Whitty
duane at dwlabs.ca