6.1 jumpstart issues

Erik Nørgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Fri Jun 2 07:06:52 PDT 2006

Lamont Lucas wrote:
> I recently upgraded my jumpstart server from 5.5 to 6.1 and have had
> some issues getting the new jumpstart process working.
>
> Specifically, while using my old install.cfg, my new machines were not
> being built with a kernel.
>
> I figured out that the sysinstall manpage is out of date and as of 6.x
> there is a new distribution that needs to be installed, named kernels.
>
> However, even after adding that:
>
> ################################
> # Select which distributions we want.
> dists=base kernels manpages catpages proflibs dict
> distSetCustom
> ################################

If you do not have a "installCommit" at the end of your install.cfg the
sysinstall should fall back on the normal interactive interface and you
can verify that your settings have been applied.

> the kernel was still not installed.  It dosen't even look like sysinstall
> attempted to process it, either.  I'm going through the sysinstall
> source to see if it's aware of kernels, but having no luck yet.
>
> Has anybody successfully used a 6.x machine to build a jumpstart
> server?  Is there a better source for automating sysinstall info than the
> manpage?
>
> (I originally used the freebsd.org handbook site on pxeboot, but it
> was horribly out of date (4.x) and later had more luck with
> http://www.daemonsecurity.com/pub/pxeboot/article.html, which is
> how I got my 5.5 machine working.  I see it has been updated for
> 6.x but uses a non-custom dist install set, which isn't exactly
> what I want)

Rather, it is being updated - it seems to be a continual process :-) let
me know of useful cheats and tricks.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org