qpopper for root

Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] Danovitsch at vitsch.net
Fri Jun 2 04:28:09 PDT 2006

On Friday 02 June 2006 12:34, Robin Becker wrote:
> Robin Becker wrote:
> > I am trying to use qpopper for delivering mail to my PC based mail
> > client from a freeBSD 6.0 release system
> >
> > -ERR [AUTH] "root": access denied.
>
> whoops hit the wrong key too soon.
>
> I have added user x and user root to the APOP data base, and have checked
> that user x can do pop3 with the client thunderbird.
>
> However, I get the above message for the root account. Is there some
> problem with root using APOP authentication?

Using pop3 to get root's email means you are sending root's login password in
plain text to the pop3 server. It's unwise to change qpopper to allow you to
login as root.
Simply create a "normal" user and create a mail alias address so that all mail
to root gets forwarded to the normal user. Then setup your mail client to
login to pop3 using the username & passwd of the normal user.

Setting up an alias is easy. Simply add the following line to /etc/aliases to
forward root's email to normal_user :
root: normal_user

After editing the aliases file you should run "newaliases" to rebuild the
alias database.

grtz,
Daan