Odd sendmail behavior change

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 1 21:03:39 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 10:03:35 +0700 (ICT)
Olivier Nicole <on at cs.ait.ac.th> wrote:

> > Now all system mail seems to want to be forwarded thru some relay
> a> t hus.parkingspa.com.  I have no clue where this came from nor
>
> Try "dig kt.weeble.com" it is just an alias name for hus.parkingspa.com

Doh.. the obvious..

I've been using that name internally for many years and I do have
it listed in /etc/hosts.  I thought that /etc/hosts was checked
before bind.  It was never an issue before May 28 but the solution
was relatively easy:

	change the network name for my LAN
	add the hostname to /etc/mail/local-host-names
	restart sendmail (kill -HUP `head -1 /var/run/sendmail.pid`)

Thanks for the clue stick and the quick response!  It really was
driving me crazy for a bit but I should know after 8 unix years
that when contradictions exist, check the premises.  I never
dreamed anyone would actually use such a stupid hostname for real ;-)

Best regards,

Randy