difference between deinstall and pkg_delete?

Jon Falconer jfalconer at puc.edu
Thu Jun 1 11:08:19 PDT 2006

Greetings,

I see in the man page for ports the following:

     reinstall        Use this to restore a port after using pkg_delete(1)
                      when you should have used deinstall.

So I'm wondering what is the difference between pkg_delete and using "make
deinstall" from within the ports directory? What does "make deinstall" do
that pkg_delete does not do? What does pkg_delete do that "make deinstall"
does not do?

Thanks,

Jon