how to panic FreeBSD

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Sun Jul 30 13:42:43 UTC 2006

"Only OpenSource" <onlyopensource at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to learn kernel debugging and one of the approaches I
> have come up with is to introduce situations in the sys code by which
> the compiled kernel is buggy
> and will panic.
>
> My query is what are the typical bugs that I can introduce in say by
> which the kernel
> would panic.

If you browse the filed problem reports, you will find
more than enough real panics and if you also have a look at
the closed ones, you'll find solutions as well.

You could also panic your systems with classics
like:

- kldloading /dev/mem
- kldloading kernel modules that aren't in sync with the kernel
- mounting a file system through USB and then unplugging the drive
  without umounting first

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/