Fetching install.cfg from a remote machine

Erik Nørgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Sun Jul 30 11:02:57 UTC 2006

Philippe LAQUET wrote:

> I would like to know if someone has published some patch or found a
> solution to perform a automatic installation via sysinstall but with a
> remote (ftp/http/nfs) install.cfg file? I found some solutions using a
> PXE boot disk and mount via NFS but don't want to put NFS shares and
> DHCP "specific" server to do only that task.

You don't need to setup nfs, install.cfg can be fetched with ftp. You
can setup a PXEBoot jumpstart server that runs only tftp and dhcp, then
in the install.cfg define a remote ftp server and the release you want.

check this www.daemonsecurity.com/pub/pxeboot/

Alternatively, you can create a custom "boot-only" type iso which
fetches the install.cfg, but in all cases, if you don't want to redo a
lot of your work every time a new release comes out, you need to install
using ftp.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org