boot FreeBSD from USB external drive

Brian McKeon backyard1454-nospam at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 29 19:25:12 UTC 2006

Igor Robul wrote:

>On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 06:59:47AM -0700, backyard1454-bsd at yahoo.com wrote:
>

>>just try running the installation cd with the USB
>>device and see what happens. Make sure your setting it
>>up on the right drive (da0 assuming you have IDE
>>hardrives)
>>

>Not so good advice - flash memory has limited write count. Instead you
>can look at Frenzy 1.0 and then use it as template.
>
>http://www.frenzy.org.ua/eng/
>
>It has versions for CD and USB.

Fair enough, but if it was a USB Hard drive then my advice should be ok
correct??? I'm just wondering because one of the yaks I gotta shave is
making a bootable recovery system with one of my USB hardrives. Even
with a flash disk you should be ok for 10,000 writes which should be
adequate to bring up a test system to play around with. Although I will
admit it isn't the most reliable system waiting for the transistors to
go bad.

brian