X11/glx question

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Sat Jul 29 14:42:15 UTC 2006

Robert Huff wrote:

>Alex Zbyslaw writes:
>

>> Make sure nvidia-driver isn't installed now and (hateful I know)
>> try re-installing xorg-libraries and xorg-server.
>>

>	The good news: Done.
>	The bad news: this does not seem to have fixed the desire for
>the nvidia driver.
>	Is there a known procedure (i.e. sctipt) for removing the
>nvidia stuff root-and-branch?  If not, can you suggest which files I
>need to kill?

pkg_delete nvidia-driver-\*

should do it.  A lot of care goes into making sure that ports/packages
actually delete all the files they install.

In fact, running a pkg-delete -n it looks to me like nvidia-driver tries
to move back all the original glx files that it replaced.

You don't mention what commands you ran; one way to be sure of getting
everything afresh is to de-install all of xorg and nvidia, then
re-install xorg.  If you are a portupgrade person, then make sure you
specified -f.

Also, you could try finding glx related files (e.g. "locate glx") and
see what packages they come from with pkg_which.  Make sure you update
the locate database first ("/usr/sbin/periodic weekly" would do it and
other bits should do no harm).

hth,

--Alex

PS According to my port tree, mplayer would only pull in nvidia driver
of you had specified WITH_NVIDIA=1 somewhere like make.conf,
pkgtools.conf or the original command line.