Are hardware vendors starting to bail on FreeBSD ... ?

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Fri Jul 28 21:09:11 UTC 2006

On Jul 28, 2006, at 2:12 PM, Amitabh Kant wrote:

> On 7/29/06, User Freebsd <freebsd at hub.org> wrote:
>> And my point is that those not supporting FreeBSD already don't care,
>> since as far as they are concerned, their is no market for them to be
>> losing .... not buying their products isn't telling them anything
>> they
>> didn't already believe ...
>
> The point where it hurts them is when I prefer stuffs having FreeBSD
> support even while purchasing/recommending hardware for windows. I do
> a lot consulting for companies which have a mix of BSD/Linux and
> Windows servers. This is more so in case of RAID cards for me, where I
> would go in for 3Ware rather than Promise or other brands.
>
> I must admit though that it is not always possible to follow this
> rule, but I amke it a point to follow it as closely as possible in the
> given circumstances. As somebody has already written earlier, one
> should pick the best tool for the job. But if I have a approximately
> similar performance options from two or more hardware, my choice would
> automatically go in for one that supports *BSD.

There are practical reasons for this sort of policy, not just
ideological.  In two years, if you need to retarget a server from
Windows to FreeBSD for a new project, then you can still use the
equipment since you did you homework 2 years earlier.

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
Your Web App and Email hosting provider