qemu with tap networking on FreeBSD 6.1

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Fri Jul 28 19:29:33 UTC 2006

"mal content" <artifact.one at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Followed instructions from various places and ended up with
> the following procedure:
>
> # kldload bridge.ko
> # sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_cfg=fxp0,tap0
> # sysctl net.link.ether.bridge.enable=1

I don't think it's part of your problem,
but on FreeBSD 6.1 it is recommended to
use if_bridge instead of bridge.

> I created 'if-up' for qemu:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> ifconfig ${1} 0.0.0.0

> I have a working OpenBSD image, 3.9. I started it up,
> set an IP address and default route, etc. Everything appears
> to be fine there.

The network was working?

> I reboot the qemu image and just before the login prompt,
> qemu goes insane. For some reason, it blasts UDP packets:
>
> (on the host)
> # netstat -an
> <snip>
> udp4       0      0  *.62756                  *.*
> udp4       0      0  *.62324                  *.*
> udp4       0      0  *.62127                  *.*
> udp4       0      0  *.62741                  *.*
> udp4       0      0  *.59182                  *.*
> udp4       0      0  *.63792                  *.*
> </snip>

How do you know that these connections came from qemu?

Personally I prefer to use NAT to connect qemu
(and jails) with the world outside. This way you can
use pfctl -ss -r to see which connections come
from the host system and which don't.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/