Are hardware vendors starting to bail on FreeBSD ... ?

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Thu Jul 27 01:17:30 UTC 2006

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> If the technical specifications are open, there is *zero* support cost
> for the hardware vendor.  They don't even _have_ to make a driver for
> their hardware.  What they *can* do though is reply to requests for an
> open source driver with: ``Piss off!  We have you the technical specs,
> so you can write your own.  Our development and support costs would not
> be justified, but here's the spec... give it your best shot.''
>
> *This* is the point Darrin is trying to make :)

Obviously, everyone has their own take on the subject. The bottom line
is that they, meaning the product or software developer, has a legal
right to do with their product as they see fit. If their marketing
choice does not coincide with yours, then find or create a product that
you find more suitable.

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard at seibercom.net