Replacing windows XP at home.

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Wed Jul 26 17:34:53 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 06:15:48PM +0100, RW wrote:
> KDE is mostly application modules, which you don't need to install if you dont
> want them. These days, though, the avoidance of bloat is mostly just a
> fetish.  I've not noticed any speed difference between KDE and the lighter
> window managers for years. And as far as disk space is concerned we are
> talking about pennies. I've tried fluxbox and the like off-and-on, but I
> always miss some KDE feature within minutes.

I disagree. Bloat is bloat. I'm using ion3 on my laptop and it's
blazingly fast. I installed KDE on my wife's computer and while it's not
a dog it is NOT blazingly fast.

OTOH, my wife's only experience was with Windows and she never had any
trouble finding her way around in KDE (which is why I installed it for
her). If you're replacing WinXP and you want people up to speed fairly
quickly then I think KDE is a pretty good choice.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |