Permission to Distribute OS and Demon Logo

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Wed Jul 26 15:07:36 UTC 2006

> Hello from Buenos Aires, Argentina!

Hello from the USA.

> My name is Carmen Chase and I request your permission to distribute FreeBSD &
> ports, use the BSD Demon, and links to the manuals & downloads sites. Our
> objective is to locally promote and generalize FreeBSD as end users - not
> criticize other systems, or profit from FreeBSD. Let me explain:

As far as I know, you do not need additional permission just to distribute
FreeBSD and related materials.   The official policy is that FreeBSD is
free and can be distributed freely as long as the copyright information
is included.  Check the copyright information on the FreeBSD web site.

If you wish to create an  official mirror site for FreeBSD, then you
should look for information on creating and operating a mirror on the
web site and possibly talk to people (Email) about that.

I believe there is actually already one FreeBSD mirror site in Argentina.
I don't have a browser handy at the moment, but I think the address is:

                           ftp.ar.freebsd.org
and the CVSup address is:
                           cvsup.ar.freebsd.org

All this seems to run on a machine called:  gaucho.ar.freebsd.org

I don't think there is a problem having an additional mirror site
but my suggestion would be to check with the people running the
existing mirror on  gaucho.ar.freebsd.org  and maybe they can help.

FreeBSD will be a good thing in Argentina.

Good luck,

////jerry