FreeBSD 6.1 installer doesn't recognize ICH5R RAID1

Darren David darren at 3x3x3.org
Wed Jul 26 05:55:35 UTC 2006

hi all-

doing a clean install to 6.1, and i've decided to set up my system
drives as RAID 1 now that I see that 6.1 has support for the ICH5R raid
controller. My BIOS recognizes the SATA RAID 1 array correctly, but the
FreeBSD installer still sees 'ad4' and 'ad6' as two separate drives. The
installer has no problem with my 3ware 9500-based RAID5 array.

FWIW, ad4 and ad6 both have old installs of freebsd 5.4 on them,
including bootloaders, not sure if that's causing some of the confusion
here.

any thoughts?

thanks,
darren david