Are hardware vendors starting to bail on FreeBSD ... ?

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Wed Jul 26 02:54:09 UTC 2006

On Jul 25, 2006, at 8:16 PM, Nikolas Britton wrote:

> ICP Vortex is an Adaptec company and Adaptec doesn't support FreeBSD.
> We've already been over this once.

Not to disagree with you, but Adaptec put new drivers for 5.3 and 5.4
for their 2420, 2820, 2320SLP, 2130SLP, and 4800/4805SAS driver back
in April 06 up on their website.

Their support could be a lot better, but these are new cards and new
FreeBSD drivers...  There is no storage manager aaccli like there was
earlier :-( (maybe a Linux one, assuming there is one, will work like
the Linux aaccli program works on FreeBSD?)

So there is a very low level of support from Adaptec...    They
should really give their drivers to the project as part of the source
and support them as well...  That is why I am using Areca now. They
seem to support both FreeBSD and Solaris 10 much better than Adaptec.

I haven't bought an Adaptec card in 2 years though because their
stuff gave me a lot of problems and didn't perform that well...

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
Your Web App and Email hosting provider