Are hardware vendors starting to bail on FreeBSD ... ?

Andrew Robinson A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jul 24 21:50:05 UTC 2006

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> [...]
[snip]

> I do agree with Danial that most USERS on this list are
> burying their heads in the sand on this issue. But I will
> point out that there isn't really any reason they shouldn't
> be. What the market wants is features, not speed. And
> that is what the FreeBSD developers are working on.

Writing as a USER on this list - I think that the Total Cost of
Ownership is also an important consideration.  I run FreeBSD because
the user-machine combination is more efficient, even if the OS itself
is slower - and I don't know about that.  I escaped from Windows via
Linux and settled here just when 5.0 came out.  I really like the
tools and the organization of the OS.  More features is nice, more
speed is nice, but I just like the way that it works.  Warm kudos to
the developers for that.

Andrew

--
Andrew Robinson
Department of Mathematics and Statistics            Tel: +61-3-8344-9763