max number of groups a user can be member of

Roberto Nunnari roberto.nunnari at supsi.ch
Mon Jul 24 14:18:59 UTC 2006

Hi everybody.

Could anybody tell me the reason why by default FreeBSD
limits the number of groups a user can be member of to 16?

Not all servers have 5000k users and today memory is not an
issue. Indeed, some servers used just for services have
no users apart a few staff users and users to run the services..

Once you reach the limit on an existing server, apart from
modifying NGROUPS_MAX and rebuilding a new kernel, you also
need to rebuild/reinstall all applications.. That's not nice.

Also, modifying NGROUPS_MAX in /usr/src/sys/sys/syslimits.h
means that every time you update your sources, you must reedit
the file..

Please correct me if I'm wrong and cast some light on
this issue.

Please also reply to my mailbox as I'm not on the list.

Best regards.
--
Robi