Adding another hard drive

John Nielsen john at jnielsen.net
Sun Jul 23 20:43:21 UTC 2006

Quoting Rich Demanowski <richd at RichDPhoto.com>:

> I'm trying to add another hard drive into my system, a 250GB Western
> Digital 7200RPM SATA drive, and when I have it plugged into the
> motherboard the system hangs when it gets to:
>    Timecounter "TSC" frequency 1803775604 Hz quality 800
>    Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
>    acd0: CDRW <LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-4836K/SPJ2> at ata1-master UDMA33
>    ad4: 114473MB <Seagate ST3120213AS 3.AHH> at ata2-master SATA150

I had a similar problem using a new SATA-II drive with my SATA150
controller. Once I closed the jumper to force the drive down to SATA150
operation the problem went away. This isn't necessary on most
drive/controller combinations (the fallback is supposed to happen
automatically), but it was for me and sounds like it may be for you. I
had to do a bit of searching around to confirm the jumper function
since it's more or less undocumented for my drive (a Seagate).

Good luck,

JN