Slow Write Performance on 3ware controller

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 17:27:23 UTC 2006

On 7/23/06, Jonathan Horne <jhorne at dfwlp.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 23 July 2006 11:27, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> > IBM Deathstars, not so fond memories of those drives.
>
> indeed.  i was lucky to have bought mine several months before their quality
> dept took a nose dive.  2 of those drives are still in service.  after almost
> 6 years, that might be considered impresseive considering the model-family
> these came from.
>
> and wow.. those are pretty impressive performance numbers!  what
> connection/speed technology is your array, and how old is it that its about
> to be retired?

The controller is SATA-II and the drives are SATA150, the controller
is sitting on a PCI-X66 bus... It's about a year old but we ran out of
space:

> df -h
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/da0e      1.5T    1.4T     36G    98%    /usr/data

This time around I convinced them to make the project budget bigger.
After I finish building this new primary system (dual xeon dual
cores). I'll start building the other (much cheaper / slower) systems
to offload most of that data to and then after that work on the even
cheaper systems to backup those arrays. Tiered storage etc. etc. I'd
estimate that we use around 1TB per year, it's a moving target that
seems to be growing exponentially!

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/