[OT] gcc: maximum length of an array?

P.U.Kruppa root at pukruppa.de
Sun Jul 23 15:30:58 UTC 2006

Hi,

sorry for posting an [OT], but usually people on this list know
everything :-)

Since I don't know too much about programming I am frequently
fascinated by simple things like Eratosthenes' sieve.
As you might remember, one has to create a boolean array for
that. The longer the array the more primes can be found.

With malloc() I can create an array of length 100000000 (10^8)
and the first 5761455 primes are calculated in a few seconds.
So of course I would like to test length 10^9 but here my program
crashes.

So my questions:
 	- is there some way to create a longer array?
 	- or what are the alternatives?
 	- do you know some kind of fine manual about this?

Regards and thanks for all answers,

Uli.