What FreeBSD users really want

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Sat Jul 22 12:18:22 UTC 2006

"sammy sumer" <sammy.sumer at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Here is what I would fix:
>
> 1.    Reinvent the installer and interface.
>
> Fundamental thing like system installer is still phenomenally arcane. There
> is no excuse for FreeBSD developers not to upgrade the system installer and
> why not using disk imaging technology like Norton ghost or Acronis
> TrueImageinstead of the traditional installation.

These are great ideas.  The most comprehensive attempt at this has been
libh, which attempted to seperate the display of the installer from the
logic behind it, thus allowing the installer to look pretty and graphical
on fully graphical terminals, yet work over a serial console as well.

The project has stalled a dozen times due to lack of manpower.  I'm sure
they'd appreciate any help you could provide:
http://www.freebsd.org/projects/libh.html

>  2.    Integrate a PHP shell into the core of the system.
>
>  PHP is by far the most popular computing language in the world. Why not
> have a shell called PHP shell. So lots of web developers out there can
> easily create shell scripts in PHP syntax to automate and run programs on
> FreeBSD.
>
> Who wants to learn bash or sh scripting? They are by far the least popular
> and ugly programming language in the world.
>
> It is astounding that FreeBSD developers have not clued in to the fact that
> millions of backend webmasters could easily migrate and adopt FreeBSD as
> their O.S of their choice because of PHP.

This is a great idea, I'm embarrassed that I never thought of it.

I don't see what it has to do with FreeBSD, however.  It soulds like a
project for Zend or the other PHP folks.  Once they have it, it can be
made into a FreeBSD port easily, then the Linux folks can benefit as well.

Jump on over to the PHP site and throw your idea out.  I'm sure they could
use some help getting it developed.

--
Bill Moran

FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?