geom_eli and Safenet/hifn crypto accelerators

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Fri Jul 21 18:48:10 UTC 2006

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a supported crypto accelerator. Not for performance,
but to off-load the CPU.

The soekris hifn products are cheap and easy to obtain, but Googling yields a
lot of posts that indicate there may be problems with the hardware.

Safenet seems to be the other option (though I have yet to find a reseller) -
but I have not found a single post anywhere about anybody's experience using
it with geli in particular, nor FreeBSD in general.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding this? All I care about is low
CPU usage and stability; performance is secondary.

As a bonus, if anyone has CPU usage benchmarks for geli I'd be interested in
seeing them. I did find one comparison while Googling, but it was completely
inconsistent with what I am seeing. I am seeing complete CPU saturation doing
sequential I/O on a USB device at about 10 meg/sec. (Actually 50% system
utilization on a dual-core 3800+, which I take to be one core saturated
unless geli is able to use both CPU:s for the same userland I/O operation.)

Thanks!

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org