Connection refusal for an NFS mount

David Landgren david at landgren.net
Fri Jul 21 09:42:27 UTC 2006

David Kelly wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 07:43:16PM +0200, David Landgren wrote:
>> David Kelly wrote:
>>> For starters try "showmount -e the.freebsd.ip.address" on the Linux box
>>> to see if the Linux box sees the NFS daemons on the FreeBSD machine.
>> Hrm.
>>
>> # showmount -e 172.17.0.21
>> mount clntudp_create: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive
>
> I don't think NFS is going to work until you can get past the above
> problem. Running "showmount -e" on your FreeBSD machine should display
> the essential contents of /etc/exports.

I added

	/var 172.17.0.21
	/usr 127.0.0.1

to /etc/exports on the FreeBSD machine, hupped mountd, and when I run

	showmount -e 172.17.0.21
	showmount -e 127.0.0.1

... either command just hangs indefinitely. Hmm.

> What does the FreeBSD machine have to say about your attempts to connect
> from Linux in /var/log/messages?

Nothing. Which is reasonable, given the above. So it looks like NFS is
hosed on this box. Let's see now, relevant lines from rc.conf

firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="open"
kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
nfs_access_cache="2"
nfs_bufpackets=""
nfs_reserved_port_only="NO"
nfs_server_enable="YES"
nfs_server_flags="-u -t -n 4"
mountd_enable="YES"
ntpd_enable="YES"
rpc_lockd_enable="NO"
rpcbind_enable="YES"
rpc_statd_enable="YES"

Hmm. I don't what nfs_bufpackets does.

Short of rebooting the server, how do I reinitialise the NFS layers?
Does the following order sound sane?

/etc/rc.d/mountd stop
/etc/rc.d/nfsd stop
/etc/rc.d/rpcbind stop

... and the the same again with start in the reverse order?

Thanks,
David

--
Much of the propaganda that passes for news in our own society is given
to immobilising and pacifying people and diverting them from the idea