installing FreeBSD 6.1

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Fri Jul 21 01:57:32 UTC 2006

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006, gs_stoller at juno.com wrote:

> 	I installed  FreeBSD 6.1  expecting it to give me the maximum
> capability, but it didn't give me the  X windows  capability.  Was
> everything needed for it put together, but  X  was properly linked
> where it should be?  Is there a way that I can test for this (where
> should  X  be linked)?
> 	I got several "error code 1" messages while installing it.
> What does this indicate (other that an error occurred)?  Can the
> message be made more informative?  If so, please do
> 	There seems to be a later  FreeBSD 6.1  available, I will
> try to get and install it.

I just realized I did not answer you question. If you are building X make sure
you use the xorg port that includes all the necessary  parts. I prefer:

setenv PACKAGEROOT ftp://ftp<n>.FreeBSD.org
pkg_add -r xorg

This will work. If you want to build X from source include the tail of the build
and you can probably get specific suggestions. All my workstations are far to
slow/small to make this an option for me. Sorry - I think I missed the boat with
my first post.