defining dependencies for ports

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Wed Jul 19 16:32:03 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 14:52, mh983 wrote:
> How does the ports system come up
> with the other dependencies?  For example, this tree shows devel/ORBit2 as
> a direct dependent of java/eclipse.  How did it find that?

I already answered this in the main thread - this one is a second thread
created when Owen G answered a list digest (I do wish people wouln't do
that).

I was only guessing at the time, but my guess looks right:

$ cd /ports/java/eclipse && make run-depends-list
/usr/ports/accessibility/atk
/usr/ports/audio/esound
/usr/ports/devel/ORBit2
/usr/ports/devel/desktop-file-utils
/usr/ports/devel/gconf2
/usr/ports/devel/glib20
/usr/ports/devel/gnome-vfs
/usr/ports/devel/libIDL
/usr/ports/devel/libbonobo
/usr/ports/devel/libglade2
/usr/ports/devel/pkg-config
/usr/ports/graphics/cairo
/usr/ports/graphics/libart_lgpl
/usr/ports/graphics/libgnomecanvas
/usr/ports/java/jdk14
/usr/ports/misc/gnome-mime-data
/usr/ports/misc/gnomehier
/usr/ports/net/linc
/usr/ports/textproc/libxml2
/usr/ports/textproc/libxslt
/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20
/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/libbonoboui
/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/libgnomeui
/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/pango
/usr/ports/x11/libgnome

$ export WITHOUT_GNOMEVFS=yes ;  make run-depends-list
/usr/ports/accessibility/atk
/usr/ports/devel/desktop-file-utils
/usr/ports/devel/glib20
/usr/ports/devel/pkg-config
/usr/ports/graphics/cairo
/usr/ports/java/jdk14
/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20
/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/pango

> I'm not trying to pick apart the dependencies of this package, I would just
> like to understand how this whole ports thing works.  From what I remember
> of trying Gentoo, I had much more control over how the package got built,

I think the problem is that as time goes by more and more GTK ports are
becoming increasingly Gnomified.