nologin: Attempted login by root on UNKNOWN

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Wed Jul 19 06:09:48 UTC 2006

> > Hey Darek,
> >
> > 	Good to hear from NYI. :)
>
> Heh, are you a customer, or just familiar with the company?

	NYIIX peer and 25B compatriot.

> > 	SSH is TCPWrapper'd, and only *1* machine in the entire
> > datacenter can access it (Typical "jump box" configuration).
> >

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-wnpp/2006/05/msg00092.html

	Confused a bit by this reference, but its been a long
day.

> Does root have /bin/nologin for the shell?

	No.

> If it does, then the UNKNOWN
> would refer to the terminal,  Just the way the 'nologin' binary is set
> to log to syslog.  Basically means that someone tried to log in as root,
> but before they could even provide a password, the nologin binary kicked
> them off.  That's why the terminal type is set to UNKNOWN because it
> hadn't been set yet.

	Are you sure? If I ssh to the machine as "tuc", then su to root
I see :

$ id
uid=1001(tuc) gid=1001(tuc) groups=1001(tuc), 0(wheel)
$ su - spamd
Password:
su: Sorry
$ su -
Password:
asgard# su - spamd
This account is currently not available.

asgard# grep nologin /var/log/spool
Jul 19 01:52:47 asgard nologin: Attempted login by tuc on /dev/ttyp0
Jul 19 01:52:47 asgard kernel: Jul 19 01:52:47 asgard nologin: Attempted login by tuc on /dev/ttyp0

	In my example, shouldn't it be saying "spamd" since thats who I
tried to log on as?

> You'll have to figure out how that person is getting access as
> apparently they are reaching the box.

	I'm just not seeing it. "netstat" isn't showing any TCP
connections out of the ordinary...

		Tuc