:::. Sendmail & WorkAroundBrokenAAAA.

Mikhail Goriachev mikhailg at webanoide.org
Tue Jul 18 16:25:28 UTC 2006

Hi everyone,

I found a problem and its solution. Now I'd like someone to help me
understand a few things please.

My stock sendmail cannot send emails to a certain domain due to broken
DNS (AAAA) responses. All correspondence gets queued with a:

(Deferred: Name server: <server here>.: host name lookup failure)

Apparently, the following line in sendmail's .mc config file is sufficient:

define(`confBIND_OPTS', `WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')dnl

However, this doesn't help me at all. The only workaround that does the
job is to recompile sendmail with NO_INET6=YES in /etc/make.conf. After
that, everything gets sent immediately without problems.

So my question is: why "define(`confBIND..." line doesn't get picked up
by sendmail when compiled with INET6 support?

The whole set-up is running on:
FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p3
Sendmail 8.13.6

Any input on the matter would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mikhail.

--
Mikhail Goriachev
Webanoide

Telephone: +61 (0)3 62252501
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)4 38255158
E-Mail: mikhailg at webanoide.org
Web: http://www.webanoide.org

PGP Key ID: 0x4E148A3B
PGP Key Fingerprint: D96B 7C14 79A5 8824 B99D 9562 F50E 2F5D 4E14 8A3B