defining dependencies for ports

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 04:55:19 UTC 2006

On 7/17/06, mike <mh983 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello.  I'm brand new to FreeBSD.  I'm mostly enjoying it so far.  I'm
> playing with installing the Eclipse IDE port right now.  I say playing
> with because I started to install it and saw the list of dependencies
> and shuddered.  I like to keep my system relatively clean and tend to
> start a new install of Linux (and now BSD) as bare bones and add only
> what I need.

We're usually focused on making sure things work instead of
keeping dependencies to a minimum. FreeBSD is not Windows
(or some flavors of Linux) where you're afraid of installing any
software because it will never really uninstall. Here we've got
most things very clean and automated. So just go ahead and
take it easy about all the dependencies. You're not installing
Eclipse on an embedded system with 4Mb flash memory, are
you.