USB and 6.1-RELEASE

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Sun Jul 16 17:14:39 UTC 2006

Rich Demanowski wrote:
> I've searched through and browsed the archives, and can't find anything
> that helps me with this.
>
> I've recently gotten my Compaq SR1910NX up and running on FreeBSD 6.1,
> but am having trouble getting it to recognize my SwingDrive umass device
> (USB 2.0, 512MB).  The only thing that's different from this machine's
> from-the-factory configuration is the addition of a Linksys WMP55AG
> wireless card, which is working just fine thanks to the ath driver.
>
> I know the USB controller is working because both my USB keyboard and my
> USB mouse function (though the keyboard (a Happy Hacking Lite 2) is a
> little quirky ... when  I hold down the shift key to type a word in all
> caps, it doubles up the letters LIKEKE THTHIISS sometimes, and I still
> haven't gotten Xorg to recognize the scroll wheel on the mouse).
>

> scbus, da, pass, ohci, uhci, ehci, usb, udbp, ugen, uhid, ukbd, ulpt,
> umass, ums, ural, urio and uscanner are all enabled in the running
> kernel's /usr/src/sys/i386/conf config file.  usbd is not running.
> When  I try to start usbd I get the following:
>    No USB host controllers found.
>
> There are no usb* devices listed in /dev.
>
> in dmesg I get the following with regard to ohci0 and ehci0:
>    ohci0: <OHCI (generic) USB controller> mem 0xfe02f000-0xfe02ffff at
> device 11.0 on pci0
>    pcib0: unable to route slot 11 INTA
>    ohci0: Could not allocate irq
>    device_attach: ohci0 attach returned 6
>    ehci0: <EHCI (generic) USB 2.0 controller> mem 0xfe02e000-0xfe02e0ff
> at device 1 1.1 on pci0
>    pcib0: unable to route slot 11 INTB
>    ehci0: Could not allocate irq
>    device_attach: ehci0 attach returned 6
>

> When I plug the drive into any of the USB ports on the system, nothing
> happens in dmesg or /var/log/messages.  camcontrol devlist lists no
> devices.
>
> I'm a bit confused as to why my USB keyboard and mouse function, but my
> thumb drive will not.
>
> Any ideas?  Did I miss something in the kernel config?  Do  I need to
> enable something in rc.conf?  According to what's in the FreeBSD
> handbook, this should be working ...

It's likely that your BIOS has "legacy" support enabled in which case,
as far as FreeBSD is concerned, you actually have a regular keyboard and
mouse. That would explain why the mouse and keyboard work while other
USB items do not. From the messages you gave, it's clear that FreeBSB is
unable to connect to the USB controller. Disabling legacy support in the
BIOS may help. Otherwise check your BIOS for other USB related settings
and try changing those.

HTH,
Micah