Port for Perl modules

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Jul 16 05:04:14 UTC 2006

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, Gerard Seibert wrote:

> Nikolas Britton wrote:
>
>> On 7/14/06, Gerard Seibert <gerard at seibercom.net> wrote:
>>> Sorry if I asked this before, but does anyone know if there is a port
>>> for the following Perl modules:
>>>
>>> 1) Net-SMTP-SSL
>>> 2) Bundle Libnet
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=p5&stype=all
>
> That was probably the first thing I did. Unfortunately, the ports tree
> does not list Perl modules as they are listen on CPAN. Consequently,
> finding the exact module can sometimes be a challenge. In this
> particular case, I have not been able to isolate either of the two
> modules list above. I find it hard to believe that neither of them has
> been ported however, especially since so many obscure modules do reside
> in the ports tree.

The names are formatted a little differently, but they seem to be
consistent.  CPAN's Net::SMTP would be p5-Net-SMTP in ports.  Replace
the double colon with a dash; the search will work without the "p5".

You can use CPAN directly, of course; the main reason not to is the
ports make updating and deinstalling easier.

There's also CPANPLUS (/usr/ports/devel/p5-CPANPLUS) which is supposed
to be the new way to deal with CPAN, at least for the non-FreeBSD world.
I haven't tried it.