DL360 G4 shared network iLo and FreeBSD

Eric Lakin elakin at infohell.net
Sat Jul 15 21:14:11 UTC 2006

I'm trying to setup a DL360 G4 for use in a colo environment with
FreeBSD. I've run into one problem: I've setup the iLo to use the
"shared network" option, which allows the iLo to share the same network
interface as the host computer. But the iLo hangs whenever the FreeBSD
kernel loads.

When booting the system, it gets this far before the ilo is hangs:

 ?  Select option, [Enter] for default     ?
 ?  or [Space] to pause timer  2           ?
 ???????????????????????????????????????????

Copyright (c) 1992-2006 The FreeBSD Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
        The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p2 #0: Sat Jul 15 01:36:17 PDT 2006
    elakin at amun-ra.priv.infohell.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP
ACPI APIC Table: <HP     00000083>

The system continues to boot OK, so I can provide further information as
needed. When the ilo is hung, it no longer responds to pings/ssh. As
soon as FreeBSD is rebooted, the iLo becomes responsive again without
any intervention. I've also tried loading a test linux installation, to
see if the same thing happens. The iLo continues to function normally
(doesn't hang) when running linux.

Anybody have an idea what FreeBSD is doing to hang the iLo in this
situation, and how to keep it from doing so?