*bsd firewall appliance?

DW spock at dwinner.net
Thu Jul 13 09:54:00 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Just doing some early morning brainstorming, and my crazy thought of the
day is this:

My life would be so much easier if I could just get rid of my stupid PIX
firewalls, and replace them what I know and love: FreeBSD. It's not that
the PIX's have been causing me problems or anything like that, it's just
that I believe in streamlining whenever possible, and since we've
already exterminated Microsoft in my server room for at least 3 years,
the only thing left that's not running FreeBSD are my appliances
(firewalls and switches) and 2 leftover legacy servers still running
Redhat that haven't been worth the effort to migrate to FreeBSD. I'm a
one-man shop, and I can survive using the PIX IOS when I have to, but
would just as soon use BSD if I could. Questions:

1) If I did this, I would probably only do it if I could figure out how
to rack up some diskless servers to my 2-post communications rack. Any
thoughts on hardware candidates, etc.?

2) If I did this, maybe it would be wiser to go with OpenBSD instead,
since it is known for security?

3) Any good tutorials on setting up a diskless servers for Free/OpenBSD?

4) Any other considerations?

5) Am I just being stupid and should I just keep my PIX's going? I know,
I know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Cheers,
DW