6.1-RELEASE-i386 man broken?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Jul 13 07:59:11 UTC 2006

David Christensen wrote:
> hello, world!
>
> I'm a FreeBSD newbie who has installed FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-i386 using
> the "developer with X" option.  "man" doesn't seem to work:
>
>     2006-07-12 21:59:38 root at k62350 ~
>     # man man
>     No manual entry for man
>
>     2006-07-12 22:12:42 root at k62350 ~
>     # echo $MANPATH
>     :/root/local/man
>

> The same goes for makewhatis:
>
>     2006-07-12 22:12:47 root at k62350 ~
>     # makewhatis
>     makewhatis: : No such file or directory
>     makewhatis: /root/local/man: No such file or directory
>

> Any suggestions?

What are the contents of /etc/manpath.config ?  The entries in there on a
newly installed system will give the man(1) command access to all of the
man pages installed in the usual locations (/usr/share/man, /usr/local/man,
/usr/X11R6/man) If you've got perl installed there will be a couple of extra
'OPTIONAL_MANPATH' entries specially for that.  You can see the ultimate
result by running the 'manpath' command.

The environment variable MANPATH should in general not be set, as that will
override the effects of /etc/manpath.config.  See the manpath(1) man page
for more information.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
                                                      7 Priory Courtyard