Installing Oracle Client 10g on FreeBSD

Mike Friedman mikef at ack.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Jul 12 16:31:19 UTC 2006

I'm running FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE and I want to run a current Oracle
client-only with encryption support.

First, I installed the Oracle client port, which represents Oracle 7. But
my database support person tells me that's quite old and, in fact, he
couldn't be sure it would work (especially the encryption part) with the
Oracle database I'd be using (which he helps support).  And I was getting
some strange symptoms when I tested it.

So, he recommended that I download the Oracle 10g Client for Linux. Since
my FreeBSD system is configured for Linux compatibility, I'm hoping this
will work.  However, I can't even get the Installer to complete!  It keeps
telling me that I may not have enough space in my root partition, even
though I'm not trying to install into the root partition.  (The partition
in which I'm installing has lots of space).

In addition, I should say that the machine on which this Oracle client
will be installed is not running X Windows.  This means I can't use the
installation menus, so I've been running the Installation tool with a
'response file'.  The response file, however, doesn't have much
flexibility.  In particular, when I'm told I may not have enough space, it
asks me if I want to continue, but there's no way for me to reply 'yes'
from the response file.

In any case, based on the installation logs, it really looks like the
Installation tool is looking at the root partition for how much space is
available.

I've found in the FreeBSD handbook an article on installing Oracle 8.0.
But it appears that there have been changes with 10g.  Also, those
instructions seem to assume a server install, so they talk about setting
some shared memory values and other things that may not apply to me
anyway.

Do I have any other options?  I don't want to install the full Oracle
package (client and server), just the client, so that I can write some
perl scripts to query a remote Oracle database.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mike

Mike Friedman                        System and Network Security
mikef at ack.Berkeley.EDU               2484 Shattuck Avenue
1-510-642-1410                       University of California at Berkeley
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~mikef  http://security.berkeley.edu