Producing a binary install

Kevin Brunelle kruptos at mlinux.org
Wed Jul 12 00:36:50 UTC 2006

> Otherwise doing a 'make package' after the port has been installed will
> create a package for you. You should then be able to install the package
> on the other machine using pkg_add.
>
> HTH,
> Micah

If you've already done make clean... you're going to end up rebuilding if you
use make package.  Since that's not what you're looking to do, use pkg_create
instead.

pkg_create -b jdk-1.5.0p3_1

Obviously, replace with the package name in your system.  By default, the
package will be created in the directory you are in when you run the command.

I maintain a computer for my step-mother and, since I want to avoid actually
building on her computer as much as possible, I use the following script to
package every binary on my system and then I can just copy them over to her
computer (or setup my computer so pkg_add can get them over the internet) and
use them to install.

#!/bin/tcsh
foreach file ( `pkg_info | awk '{print $1}'` )
        echo "Creating package for $file"
        pkg_create -b $file
end

This script is not smart... it doesn't check to see if a package of the same
name already exists -- which it should... hmm, I'm going to add that to
mine... to save time if you run it frequently, and just build packages you
need.

Anyway, pkg_create is very useful in saving time when you maintain a bunch of
computers and want to keep them all up to date and only want to commit one to
building and testing.

-Kevin B.