aterm -e screen does not source .bashrc

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue Jul 11 16:02:57 UTC 2006

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

>Agreed.  My current .bash_profile is basically a minimal wrapper around
>.bashrc these days:
>
>% gothmog % cat -n .bash_profile
>%      1  # Startup file for login instances of the bash(1) shell.
>%      2  # $RCS: giorgos/.bash_profile,v 1.10 2005/07/10 21:10:39 giorgos Exp $
>%      3
>%      4  # First of all, run a .bashrc file if it exists.
>%      5  test -f ~/.bashrc && . ~/.bashrc
>%      6
>%      7  # The following section should be pretty minimal, if present at all.
>%      8  mesg y >/dev/null 2>&1
>%      9  /usr/bin/true
>% gothmog %

I've found the distinction quite useful since, for example, I only want
to run ssh-agent when logging in on the console, but not if I su, say.
(I also share all my shell configuration files with my root identity, so
I would expect to su on the console).

Also, stuff like limits and exported environment variables only need to
get set in the shell that owns all the others.  And if you have things
like mail notifications, or fortune, they just become irritating if you
get them in every single xterm.

--Alex