termcap problems

Alex Push naberegu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 14:52:34 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I recently got FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE on my server, and a couple of days
ago I started getting this message when I ssh in:
csh: Cannot open /etc/termcap
csh: using dumb terminal settings

This yields a very limited terminal -- I can execute basic commands,
but can't open vi/vim ("vi: No terminal database found"), etc.

I checked  /etc/termcap, and it is a symlink to /usr/share/misc/
termcap, and that file *does* exist. I don't think it's a permissions
problem since both termcap and termcap.db are readable to all users (-
r--r--r--). I rebuilt the termcap.db file (in /usr/share/misc/
termcap)  by running "cap_mkdb termcap", but this didn't fix the
terminal.

I also tried rebuilding and reinstalling the termcap source from /usr/
src/share/termcap, but I am still getting this error, and it's making
my box pretty unusable.

Any thoughts? Thanks a lot in advance.

Alex