sil3112 question

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue Jul 11 13:44:37 UTC 2006

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>"Eugeny Kuzakov" <coredumped at coredumped.org.ru> writes:
>

>>I have p4p800Se mb.
>>
>>I have bought a few days before Tekram TR-822. It's Sil3112 based software
>>raid.
>>
>>I need mirror device, contained 2 partitions -- fat32&ufs.
>>
>>I want to use fat32 under freebsd&windows xp.
>>
>>the problem is that under windows the controller works good,
>>but FreeBSD doesn't see created mirror logical device.
>>
>>Has anyone working same configaration? What sil3112 bios version?
>>

>Doesn't "software RAID" imply "Windows software"?
>Running Windows software isn't one of FreeBSD's strong points...

Er, no, unless I am much mistaken  it doesn't imply that at all (see man
ataraid).  FreeBSD handles plenty of "software" (metadata only) RAIDs,
though I believe that an archive search will turn up that the sil3112 is
possibly the worst such RAID ever and was a poor choice of RAID card,
however cheap.  Try google.   SiL are listed among the controllers
supported by ataraid on 6.1 so I would expect the RAID to be recognised
even if it performed badly.

I've not used such a RAID so perhaps some specific action with
atacontrol is required.

--Alex