been buggin' me for a while now (console resolution)

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Jul 11 12:55:16 UTC 2006

On 2006-07-11 08:43, Peter <petermatulis at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>--- Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
>>>
>>> Allright, did that.

>>> I'm trying manually first and it's a "no go".  This is the output of
>>> 'vidcontrol -i mode':
>
> [snip]
>
> 34 (0x022) 0x00000001 T 80x60           8x8   0xb8000 32k 32k 0x00000000 32k
>
>> The 132x25 mode doesn't work for all video adapters, AFAIK.
>>
>> The best I have been able to use almost everywhere is 80x30.
>
> I can manually get 80x60 with 'vidcontrol 80x60' and this is good
> enough for me.  How do I automate this at bootup?

By setting your preferred mode in `/etc/rc.conf':

	allscreens_flags="80x30"

Note that for non-default modes, you also have to set up a font in your
`rc.conf' file, otherwise vidcontrol will refuse to change the console
mode at bootup, so a more complete example would be:

	font8x8="iso-8x8.fnt"
	allscreens_flags="80x60"

After saving these in your `/etc/rc.conf' file you don't have to reboot
for them to take effect, something like the following should work too:

	hostname# /bin/sh
	# vidcontrol -f 8x8 iso-8x8.fnt
	# for dev in /dev/ttyv* ; do vidcontrol 80x60 < "$dev" ; done